out of the box
Whether mobile video or family album – release your images from your harddrives and drawers! We will meet for several weeks in a safer space and you will learn how to combine your images and how to present them in a way that tells your story!
What should you bring with you?
Most importantly, you should be up to expressing yourself through still/moving imags. For »out of the box« it is important that you already bring a lot of material. Whether images from an old family album, unfinished projects, found footages from the internet or mobile phone videos from your last travels doesn’t matter – what does matter is that the images mean something to you and that you want to work with them. Prior experience in video edting, image selection or layout are not necessary at all.
We want to question photos/videos together on a personal level, so sometimes very personal topics/experience come to light. We want to support each other to the best of our abilities and check how everybody is, but mainly it’s your own responsibility what and how much you want to share during the whole seminar.
What happens when?
The seminar consists of three all-day meetings on Saturdays, when the whole group meets and discusses their projects. Inbetween there are breaks of 2 weeks that you can use to work indipendently – and dates on Monday and Wednesday evenings, when you can get help and feedback on your works.
On the first Saturday we will get to know and you bring your images to the workshop. Through creativity methods, the inspiration by other works and feedback of the other participants you will clarify your topic and develop an artistic concept. Thus, you will be able to select and combine images more focusedly and collect further material (texts, interviews, documents etc.). On the second Saturday, we as a group give feedback on all works, thus you can refine or complete your selection and process photos or cut videos respectively. On the last Satuday, we have a look on all finished works and reflect together on the personal and artistic process.
If you want to share your work with more people, you can participate in a small zine workshop in December (also in Dresdner59) and layout small magazines with your works.
What are you going to get out?
- find a form to comprehensibly express your personal vision on a topic through photography and/or film
- networking and community with other people interested in photography and film, insight into other life realities
- work on ideas buzzing around your head, and share them
- learn how to give a new meaning to single images by their narrative combination
- get out of your own comfort zone through photographic/cinematic tasks
- relief by getting through old personal issues and progess by questioning your own view on the chosen topic
- All-day meetings (12-7 p.m.): 23/2., 9/3., 23/3.
- if needed on afternoons (25/2, 6/3, 11/3, 20/3)
Open for everybody of every age/origin/… ! Participation with donation.
If needed, we will organise interpreters or child care.
Stadtteilprojekt Dresdner Straße 59, Leipzig-Reudnitz
The registration is closed, the workshop is full.